HelioCampus is an analytics platform-as-a-service company serving higher education institutions throughout the US. We offer a secure cloud-based platform that includes flexible data models, best-in-class visual analytics, and expert analysis to enable higher education leaders to make more informed decisions.
We are seeking a Data Scientist to be part of our growing team. A successful candidate will have experience in dataset engineering, predictive modeling, and data visualization & communication skills to guide and partner with our University clients. You will work closely with University leadership and staff to understand their analytical needs and to develop, deploy, and maintain models that provide insight into student success and operational efficiency. Ideally, you will have strong technical ability as well as excellent communication and client relationship skills.
Note that this position is based in Adelphi, MD, with the opportunity to work remotely 1 day per week.
These will be your specific responsibilities:
- Communicate with stakeholders to determine institutional goals, and design analyses and data visualizations to provide insight to complex business problems
- Conduct exploratory data analysis in collaboration with subject matter experts to build and validate analytical datasets
- Build machine learning models (classification, regression, etc.) to generate scores and forecasts
- Communicate predictive model results and applications to end-users at Universities
- Collaborate with data engineering and ETL teams to deploy models / algorithms in production environment for operations use
- Collaborate with other data scientists to share knowledge and make your analyses repeatable at multiple institutions
- Help design and test production machine learning infrastructure
- Travel to customer sites as required (approximately 10%)
Skills and experience you will have to be successful:
- 3+ years of experience working in data analytics, with significant experience building, evaluating, and deploying machine learning models in python or R.
- Ability to conduct and interpret quantitative and qualitative analyses.
- Strong SQL data extraction and dataset development skills.
- Experience using data visualization tools to analyze and present data.
- Familiar with either dimensional or normalized data warehouse architectures.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, and experience presenting findings to decision-makers.
- Ability to work effectively and independently, managing multiple priorities and meeting deliverable deadlines.
- Experience working with both business users and technical development teams.
Additional factors that are considered, but not required:
- Degree in Economics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Statistics, Computer Science, or in a related quantitative field. (Comparable depth of experience can be substituted for quantitative degree or advanced degree)
- Experience with building data pipelines and deploying and maintaining production models.
- Experience working in a Higher Ed institution or EdTech company.
- Experience using Tableau to visualize and communicate results of data analysis.
- Strong understanding of relational database and data warehouse concepts
- Experience working with AWS tools such as EC2, S3, and Sagemaker
- Ability to develop (and translate between) both R and python
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- Comprehensive benefits package includes medical, dental, life and disability insurance
- 401K with company match
- 5+ weeks of paid time off including holidays and vacation
Resumes and cover letters should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Data Scientist job title in the subject.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.